Saturday, November 3, 2007

How bypass surgery is done.




During bypass surgery, blockages are not removed. Rather, a new pathway is created around the blocked part of a coronary artery. First, a healthy blood vessel is taken from another part of the body. ( as you can see this came from my dad's leg) This is the bypass graft. The graft is attached to the coronary artery beyond the blockage. This way, blood flows through the graft and bypasses the blocked part of the artery.
My Dad is doing great! Can you believe all the machines they use in ICU!
Dad should go home today!

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

I'm glad to hear your dad is recovering well. His bypass surgery was quite a miracle. I'm amazed that he is able to go home so quickly. It is so nice you can be there with him during this time.

Macie said...

I'm so glad that he is doing better. That's such a scary thing.