Sunday, December 14, 2008

Barb's I am from....

My sister Debbie asked all of the members of our extended family to write these poems for my Father so she can compile them in a book to give to him for Christmas. I thought it would be fun to share my families with you ...

I am from.
By: Barb Elder

I am from Ernie and Barbara, Oliver and Pyrene, Bill and Frances.
I am from the gypsy camp, Berries Ghost Town, wide open spaces from California, to Washington DC, to Washington State, to Utah.
I am from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day-Saints.
I am from baptismal and temple convents.
I am from swimming holes such as streams, lakes, ponds, to a beautiful swimming pool.
I am from so many schools that I can’t count.
I am from a stay at home mother who taught me to love the Lord and serve his children.
I am from a good father who honored his Priesthood and loves the Lord.
I am from Family home evening, Seminary, mutual, youth conference, girls camp, family prayer, Sunday dinners, Sunday church, and testimony meetings.
I am from serving an LDS mission in Florida.
I am from a hug from Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin and a kiss on the check from President Spencer W. Kimball.
I am from two weeks of dating, to an engagement of six weeks to getting married in the Salt Lake Temple to a worthy Priesthood holder.
I am from being a stay-at-home mother of four wonderfully good children, Jessie, Geoffrey, Carlie, and Rylie and a great son-in-law, Jason.
I am from shopping at Four Chairs, and making friend with all who work there.
I am from believing in Santa Clause to subbing for Santa.
I am from four-wheeling, snowmobiling, hiking, rhino riding, and skiing.
I am from playing games with my family and friends.
I am from blogging (www.elderfamilyevents.blogspot.com)
I am from family vacations, long road trips to church history sites, to camping, family reunions, to Rome, Australia, cruises, Mexico, Disneyland, Disney World, Sisters trips, and the best of all – our cabin.
I am from serving in Young Women, Relief Society, Primary, and Visiting Teaching.
I am from disappointment and heart ache to forgiveness and putting my trust in the Lord, doing my best, and leaving the rest to him, and coming to understanding and appreciating the Atonement.
I am from listening to General Conference CDs, Dr. John Lund CDs, and any other up lifting spiritual CDs.
I am from weekly temple trips.
I am from early morning scripture study, personal scripture study, The Book of Morman and studying “The Strength of Youth” pamphlet.
I am from great movies, “It’s a Wonderful Life,” “Dan in Real life,” “Secondhand Lions,” “Love Comes Softly,” and “The Christmas Shoes.”
I am from the blessings of an open adoption.
I am from making friends where every I go and with everyone I meet.
I am from having a great mother- in- law who is my friend.
I am from twenty five years of marriage to my eternal companion and best friend Scott.
I am from looking to the future, “Come What May and Love It!”

3 comments:

Kellie said...

I may just have to do one of these for myself and see what I come up with!

The Finlinsons said...

Question...what is the gypsy camp?

bulkleybunch said...

you are amazing, a totally incredible example. thanks!