Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Come What May, and Love It.

Farewell to a wonderful man and great example of a true Disciple of Christ.

Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin was ordained an Apostle of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on October 9, 1986. He was sustained and set apart as an Assistant to the Council of the Twelve Apostles on April 4, 1975 and served in that capacity until he was called to the First Quorum of the Seventy in April 1976. He was set apart in the Presidency of the First Quorum of the Seventy August 28, 1986, where he was serving when called to be an Apostle.Elder Wirthlin came to my mission while I was serving in Florida. At a Zone Conference he call a few missionaries up to bear their testimony's. I was one of those missionaries. After the conference he gave me a hug. I have always enjoy his talks. I loved his last conference talk. Come What May, and Love It. He shares with us a story about his daughter and some trials she had. He wrote her a card and said ' The simple secret is this: put your trust in the Lord, do your best, then leave the rest to Him." and he shared " The way we react to adversity can be a major factor in how happy and successful we can be in life." He will be missed.

1 comment:

Anita said...

I really enjoyed this talk as well. Because our family has always been hit with one adversity after another it really hit home to me. Juanita once said to me, "Thanks for not giving up on me", I guess that is the power of faith, cause it was never in me to give up, ever. And I am grateful to my Father in Heaven for that. This talk just re-enforced to rely on the Savior, have faith, love what comes even if it hurts, because your not alone...